Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sticks and Stones...

While running in the backyard, James fell on his arm and fractured both bones. Thanks to aunt Katie, Jimmy and I were both able to spend the 3 hours in the ER with him- which was good for all of us. Uncle Bridger stopped by and assisted Jim in giving James a Priesthood Blessing. It was very touching.Between the Loratab and cousin's Happy Meal toy donations, James' spirits began to lift. (Thanks guys for the FOUR cool cars! They seriously helped pass the time!!!)The doc had to pop his bones straight and gave us the option of putting James out for this, or just getting it over with. We both decided he (we!) was tough enough to handle it and he did! It was 2 seconds of pain (mostly being scared of the doctor touching his arm) and he was good. What a brave kid.So he is in a splint for a day or two, then will get to choose a cast color. While going to the ER, Jimmy offered to say a prayer with James. James asked him to pray he wouldn't need a cast- then got upset when the prayer was over and his request had not been granted. James also asked me later why Heavenly Father let him break his arm. We have had some very good conversations and this little guy is learning a great deal about faith, and just how much his Father in Heaven knows him and LOVES him!


His toy stuffed animal was right there with him, and also received a cast! James was testing out the strength of his splint on Daddy's nose... Ahhh, good to see a smile! He is lucky to have such a loving, wise Daddy.
We did make good on the promised trip to the dollar store, where James chose a bag of rubber snakes and lizards- then also 2 Strawberry Shortcake friends for his sisters.


7 comments:

Katie said...

WOW! What a day. James was very brave. You can definitely tell that is a broken arm. Yes, it is good he got a swim in since he will not be doing that for awhile. We are excited to see what color he chooses!
Lizzy & Anna were awesome. I hope they will come over again under better circumstances while you and Jim are out spending 3 hrs. having fun! Of course, we want James to join them.

Tam said...

Oh that makes me want to cry. I remember the first time broke my arm and how scared I was.I bet you all were. Glad that he escaped with only one arm broken (looking on the bright side). What a tough little kid. Poor guy! On a side note -- do you typically grab a camera when heading to the ER?

Laura said...

Poor guy. He is a sweet kid. I hate to see this happen to him. He's handling all of this very well, I'm impressed. Let us know if we can help out in any way.

camran said...

Oh my! Brings back memories of when I broke my arm - same break, same way! In my memory the bend in my arm was so exaggerated ... I remember saying to my mom that my arm was "bent". They even had me lay it on a pillow at the hospital! Let your little guy know how sorry we are for him - that he was very brave - and such a wonderful and loving brother for thinking of his sisters during such a traumatic event! ;)

Camie

Karin said...

I know, I know Tam- i DID have my camera with me... Is that awful to have documented such a SAD face?!! The incident actually happened as I was getting out of the shower with the girls, right after swimming- so my cell and camera were both in one of Elizabeth's little purses from our trip to the pool... Bad when I'm in the ER worried about making a blog post of it all... but really, I've always brought my camera wherever I go.

Nelson Family said...

He is seriously such a tough little guy. Looking at his arm......man, that is a really bad break! It's tough watching your kids go through that kind of pain and you can't really help them. You are an adoreable mom and he is one tough cookie!!! Good luck with the cast and with his arm healing!

Marci said...

So sad James! Haley was wondering if he was going to need a wheel chair. She is hoping they will be able to play together soon. Hopefully we will see you around the 4th of July (assuming you are coming to Utah). We will be there the weekend of June 28 (my 10 year reunion) and from July 3-15. Good luck, James!