Here are 10 things I've learned from my mother... in no particular order...
1. Be frugal -As kids we rarely went out to eat, and when we did we certainly never got kids meals nor our own drink, and now she still decides where to go depending on where she has a coupon for.
2. What a big difference a little note can make. I need to get better at this one again.
-One instance though- Mom encouraged me to write a little thank you to Jimmy after our first date (can you believe i actually did? how embarrassing) but look where that got me!
3. If not me who; if not now, when? I don't know that she necessarily used this phrase, but she certainly taught this by example. There is a mystery spill on the kitchen floor. If I don't clean it up, who will? And it won't be any easier to clean it up tonight than it is to clean it up now.
4. It's the little things that mean a lot. Even beyond the thank you cards, and "I'm thinking of you" notes, Mom has always made a special effort to show she is thinking of us. She has mailed little clippings from the newspaper she's found, or bought a shirt that she just thought we'd love. Every holiday has always included an extra gift (new decoration for Halloween or CD for Easter). I was surprised to learn just a year ago that a good friend of mine remembered my mom including her in a Valentine's day nick knack 15 years ago. My mom is thoughtful.
5. Serve. Mom's life has been full of service to her family and neighbors. Countless examples come to mind.
6. Just because you don't have a show stopper's voice doesn't mean you shouldn't sing. Now this may come across as a backhanded compliment, but I mean it. My mom can sing just great, but she certainly wouldn't join any choirs. However she always sings at church and around the house. In fact, she'll come up with songs to match many conversations and is a whiz at showtunes and name that tune;)
7. Traditions and honoring our ancestors. My mom has a great love for her mother and her mother's mother. She admires and honors them through keeping their traditions alive in our family and sharing their stories with our children.
8. Gospel - I can't count the number of times I have seen my mom reading her scriptures in bed. Growing up, she also put family prayer, scripture study and FHE at the highest priority.
9. Be supportive. My mom is a very supportive wife and mother. She loves her husband and children and we all know it.
10. Hydrogen peroxide is great at getting blood out. Vinegar is a cheap, easy cleaner. The sun is the best bleach agent. scrub persistently at stains- even sharpie will come off a counter. keep old toothbrushes to get the grout. Steam a little lemon and baking soda in the microwave for easier cleaning.
and on and on and on and on.........................
Love you, mom!



3 comments:
When we were fairly new in the ward, I was asked to speak in Sac Mtg and was nervous to speak in front of so many strangers. The next day, I had a note in my mailbox siting specific things from my talk that your dad enjoyed hearing. So I know first hand how validating those notes you mention are. You have a wonderful family.
Karin you are just so creative! I'm loving your blog. So, do the cleaning tricks work? I need to know more.
Your mom is awesome...and you're an awesome mom too!
Post a Comment